Biography of Charles Stanley
Charles Stanley Biography
Charles Stanley Biography – Charles Stanley was an American Southern Baptist pastor and writer. He was born on September 25, 1932, and went to be with the Lord on April 18, 2023. Charles pastored the First Baptist Church in Atlanta for 49 years as the senior pastor.
He was the founder and president of In Touch Ministries, which widely spread his sermons through TV and radio. He served as the president of the Southern Baptist Convention between 1984 to 1986.
Early Life and Education
He was born in Dry Fork, in the community of Pittsylvania County, Virginia. The young Charles lost his father nine months after being born. The family was always on the move throughout his childhood.
He gave his life to Christ at the age of 12 and by age 14, he began his life’s work in Christian ministry.
Charles Stanley obtained a Bachelor of Arts at the University of Richmond, and later studied at Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary in Fort Worth, Texas to obtain a Master of Divinity. He got a Master of Theology and a Doctorate of Theology degree from Luther Rice Seminary.
He joined First Baptist Church of Atlanta in 1969 and became the senior pastor in 1971. He began a television program in 1972 tagged The Chapel Hour. Charles Stanley founded In Touch Ministries in 1977 with the aim of leading people across the globe into a healthy relationship with Jesus Christ and reinforcing the local assembly.
The program is being broadcast on close to 500 radio stations, 300 television stations, and many other satellite networks. The show has been able to be translated into 50 languages. The ministry also produces In Touch magazine.
The ministry utilizes every platform accessible by men to spread the gospel as quickly as possible. He took the ministry name for a Living Bible he had.
His writings and broadcasts aim at issues like finances, parenting, personal crises, emotional matters, relationships, and many more.
He was elected in 1985 as the president of the Southern Baptist Convention.
He named the successor of the senior pastor of First Baptist Church in 2017 to be Anthony George. He declared his retirement as the senior pastor on September 13, 2020, and transitioned to pastor emeritus, but stated that he would continue to work at In Touch Ministries.
He developed “30 Life Principles” over the course of his ministry. He credited some of the principles to his Pentecostal grandfather, George Washington Stanley.
Marital Status and Personal Life
He was married to Anna Johnson Stanley in 1955 and got divorced in 2000. The couple had a daughter (Becky) and a son (Andy).
Alongside the work of his Christian Ministry, he was an excellent photographer. Some of the pictures he snapped were featured in the In Touch magazine and other materials produced by the ministry.
His wife of more than 40 years divorced him on May 11, 2000. After previously attempting to divorce him twice. On June 22, 1993, and on March 20, 1995, she filed for divorce on those two occasions before the final divorce papers were filed on February 16, 2000. It was signed by a judge on May 11, 2000.
He died at his in Atlanta on April 18, 2023, at the age of 90.
Some of the materials by him are as follows:
- 1980: Making The Bible Clear with Fred L. Lowery
- 1982: Handle With Prayer
- 1985: How to Listen to God
- 1985: Confronting Casual Christianity
- 1986: How to Keep Your Kids on Your Team
- 1989: How to Handle Adversity
- 1990: Eternal Security: Can You Be Sure?
- 1991: The Gift of Forgiveness
- 1992: The Wonderful Spirit-Filled Life
- 1995: The Love of God
- 1995: The Source of My Strength
- 1999: A Touch of His Power: Meditations on God’s Awesome Power
- 2000: Success God’s Way
- 2000: Into His Presence: An In Touch Devotional
- 2001: The Gift of Love
- 2001: Our Unmet Needs
- 2002: Walking Wisely
- 2002: Winning the War Within
- 2003: Finding Peace
- 2003: God Is in Control
- 2004: When the Enemy Strikes
- 2005: Charles Stanley’s Life Principles Bible
- 2005: Living in the Power of the Holy Spirit
- 2005: Living the Extraordinary Life: 9 Principles to Discover It
- 2006: Discover Your Destiny
- 2006: Pathways to His Presence: A Daily Devotional
- 2007: Landmines in the Path of the Believer: Avoiding the Hidden Dangers
- 2008: In Step with God
- 2008: Stuck in Reverse
Awards and Recognition
- 1988: National Religious Broadcaster’s Hall of Fame
- 1989: Named Clergyman of the Year by Religious Heritage of America
- 1993: NRB named In Touch with Television Producer of the Year
- 1999: In Touch named Radio Program of the Year
- 2017: Thomas Nelson Publishing recognizes Stanley for selling more than 3.5 million copies of his books