JAMES DOBSON BIOGRAPHY, MINISTRY, NET WORTH & LESSONS FROM HIS LIFE
James Bobson Biography – James Clayton Dobson Jr. is an American evangelical Christian writer, psychologist, and founder of Focus on the Family on the Family (FOTF) which he runs from 1977 until 2010. Dobson was never an ordained minister but he was called “the nation’s most influential evangelical leader” by The New York Times. He was depicted as a successor to evangelical leaders Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson.
One of his responsibilities as a member of the organization was producing the daily radio program Focus on the Family, which the organization claimed was broadcasted in over a dozen languages and more than 7,000 stations across the world. It is also worth noting that it is heard daily by more than 220 million people in close to 164 countries.
He also started the Family Research Council in 1981. Presently, Dobson is not with Focus on the Family. He started an NGO in the year 2010 and began a new radio broadcast, Family Talk with Dr. James Dobson on more than 300 stations nationwide.
EARLY LIFE AND BACKGROUND
He was born on April 21, 1936, to the family of Myrtle Georgia and James C. Dobson Sr. He was a man born to a religious family and according to him, he learned how to pray before he learned how to talk. He said he surrendered his life to Christ at the age of three when his father made the altar call.
Dobson was always with the parents to go watch his father preach. The family never allow dancing and going to movies as a culture of most Nazarenes.
He studied academic psychology and had the knowledge of being called to become a Christian counselor/psychologist. He was given a doctorate in Psychology in 1967 from the University of Southern California.
Dobson became an Associate Clinical Professor of Pediatrics in 1967 at the University of Southern California School of Medicine for the duration of 14 years. He was a staff for 17 years at the Childre’s Hospital of Los Angeles in the section of Child Development and Medical Genetics.
He came to the limelight with his publication titled Dare to Discipline in 1970, a way of disciplining children by parents.
He resigned and stepped down as the President and CEO of Focus on the Family in 2003 and by February 2009, he left his position as the chairman of the board.
He started the Dr. James Dobson Family Institute in 2010, an NGO that produces his radio program “Dr. James Dobson’s Family Talk”.
James Dobson is vast in many areas of life including:
- Discipline within the family
- Tolerance and diversity
BOOKS BY HIM
He has written many life-changing books and they include some of the following:
- Dare to Discipline.
- What wives wish their husbands knew about women.
- Preparing for Adolescence
- Dobson Answers Your Questions About Raising Children.
- Emotions: Can You Trust Them?.
- Dobson Answers Your Questions about Feelings and Self-Esteem.
- Temper Your Child’s Tantrums.
- Parenting Isn’t for Cowards Dealing Confidently With the Frustrations of Child-Rearing.
- The Strong-Willed Child.
- Straight Talk: What Men Should Know, What Women Need to Understand.
- The New Dare to Discipline.
- Solid Answers.
- The Complete Marriage and Family Home Reference Guide.
- Straight Talk to Men.
- Life on the Edge.
- The New Hide or Seek Building Confidence in Your Child.
- When God Doesn’t Make Sense. Living Books.
- Bringing Up Boys Practical Advice and Encouragement for Those Shaping the Next Generation of Men.
- Parents’ Answer Book. Living Books.
- Romantic Love How to Be Head Over Heels and Still Land on Your Feet. Regal Books.
- James Dobson on Parenting
RELATIONSHIP AND MARITAL STATUS
He married Shirley Deere on the 26th of August, 1960. The couple has two children namely – Danae and Ryan. They legally adopted Ryan.
He is currently estimated to be worth between $1 million to $5 million dollars.
LESSONS FROM HIS LIFE
Proverbs 22:29 KJV talks about how a diligent man will stand before kings. In whatever you do, show diligence, show excellence, and kings will dine with you. Shalom!