BILL GAITHER BIOGRAPHY, MINISTRY, NET WORTH, & LESSONS FROM HIS LIFE
WILLIAM GAITHER BIOGRAPHY
William James Gaither is an American gospel music minister and songwriter of Southern gospel. He and his wife (Gloria) has written many Christian songs. Gaither is popularly known for performing as part of the Bill Gaither Trio and the Gaither Vocal Band (GVB).
EARLY LIFE AND BACKGROUND
William Gaither was born to the family of Geroge and Lela Gaither on the 28th of March, 1936 in Alexandria, Indiana, U.S. While he was a college student at Anderson College, he is part of group Bill Gaither Trio consisting of him, his sister Mary and his brother Danny Gaither in 1956.
After his graduation from Anderson College in 1959 where he had a major in English and minor in music, he worked as an English teacher.
Gaither managed to run both a music career and a full-time teaching job but he left teaching in 1967 to work full-time in the music industry.
He was shaped by Southern Gospel music ministers the likes of Jake Hess and Hovie Lister. And groups like the Speers, the Statesmen, and the Happy Goodmans played important roles in his growth.
He has written many Christian songs alongside his wife, Gloria. Some of the songs include “The Longer I Serve Him”, “Because He Lives”, “The King Is Coming”, “Sinner Saved By Grace”, “Something Beautiful”, “He Touched Me”, “It Is Finished”, “Jesus, There’s Something About That Name”, and “I’m Gonna Sing.
The songs written by him have been performed by the likes of David Crowder Band, Carma, The Imperials, Sandi Patty, The Cathedral Quartet, The Speers, and the Heritage Singers.
They have gone to the extent of writing Christian music for children and the popular one “I Am A Promise” has been performed on the Billy Graham crusade and in other parts of the world.
It was recorded that Gaither and his wife had written 600 songs as of 2005v and by 2012 the number increased to over 700 songs.
His first appearance was with the Bill Gaither Trio in the 1950s and he has been performing frequently. And by 1964, his wife replaced his sister Mary in the group.
ENTREPRENEURSHIP AND INFLUENCE
He is the founder of the Gaither Music Company that aims at record company, concert booking, television production, copyright management, and many other arms.
Gaither was part of Paragon Associates in the 80s.
He and Leland Boren founded the Chapel Hill Music Group in Brentwood, Tennessee and the name was later changed to Spring Hill Music Group.
His influence in the music industry is notable. He has been a father to many upcoming and young Christian music ministers in the industry. He provided a platform for those that came before him by producing Homecoming recordings and tours. The likes of Mark Lowry, Michael W. Smith, Carman, Sandi Patty, Steve Green, Don Francisco, Amy Grant, and many more either got their start or became known by touring with the Gaithers.
His Homecoming tours which began in the year 1991 pulled together iconic stars of the southern gospel and Christian music industry.
MARITAL AND RELATIONSHIP STATUS
He got married to Gloria in 1962 and they live in Alexandria, Indiana, and are blessed with three grown-up children.
AWARDS AND RECOGNITIONS
- 1973: Best Inspirational Performance for “Let’s Just Praise The Lord”; Bill Gaither Trio
- 1975: Best Inspirational Performance for “Jesus, We Just Want To Thank You”; Bill Gaither Trio
- 1991: Best Southern Gospel Album for Homecoming; Gaither Vocal Band
- 1999: Best Southern, Country, Or Bluegrass Gospel Album for Kennedy Center Homecoming
- 2001: Best Southern, Country, or Bluegrass Gospel Album for A Billy Graham Music Homecoming
- 2008: Best Southern, Country, Or Bluegrass Gospel Album for Lovin’ Life; Gaither Vocal Band
GMA Dove Awards
- 1969, 1970, 1972–’77: Songwriter of the Year
- 1974: Song of the Year for “Because He Lives”
- 1976: Inspirational Album of the Year for Jesus, We Just Want to Thank You; Bill Gaither Trio
- 1978: Inspirational Album of the Year for Pilgrim’s Progress; Bill Gaither Trio
- 1980: Mixed Group of the Year – Bill Gaither Trio
- 1986: Praise and Worship Album of the Year for I’ve Just Seen Jesus(choral)
- 1987: Southern Gospel Album of the Year for The Master Builder; The Cathedrals(producer)
- 1991: Southern Gospel Album of the Year for Climbing Higher & Higher; The Cathedrals (producer)
- And many others.
He is estimated to be around $10 million as of this post.
LESSONS FROM HIS LIFE
He has lived as a patriarch in the Christian music industry by providing a platform for many to thrive. The impact he has made will live on because he is inscribed in the heart of men. Whatever our gift or skill is, let us use it to make an impactful change in the lives of others.